Thursday, September 19, 2013

The Trader Joe's Adventure and My Top Trader Joe Picks



So my pal Al and I were getting sick of the hum drum of the past couple weeks.


 We wanted to do something spontaneous, something exciting. So we.....

ARE YOU READY FOR THIS?


We hopped in his Honda Ridgeline on a beautiful afternoon and drove to Rochester to attempt his first (my second) Trader Joe's MAGICAL EXPERIENCE.






Needless to say we squealed like little girls upon our arrival and filled our carts to the brim. We then joked how we were just a bunch of old ninnies, and then almost wet ourselves at the deep freezers filled with pop in your mouth treats and bins and bins of chocolate chip cookies.

Now you may be thinking, TJ's opened in Amherst? How the %#€# did I miss this? No, no my friend, I needed to get my fix and show my friend the TJ's ropes before we brave the dangerous NFB location, which will be chock full of anxious Amherst soccer moms, UB students and the "vegan just for today" people.

It opens October 11, and guaranteed no matter how busy it may be there I will be steadfast and true waiting in that line with my soy cream cheese, tangerine juice and chocolate covered EVERYTHING.

Here was my cart:

At the register I almost wept at the deal I was getting, but then got teary eyed thinking about my bank account. I told the cashier that my friend here was a TJ's virgin. That didn't go over well. Nevertheless I was excited to get home and gorge myself!

When I arrived home poor Adam was oblivious to my situation and when I explained to him where I was this afternoon he said, " You drove all the way to Rochester to get groceries?" ( in between bites of his dinner.) " it's good" ( referring to the food).

Me: " Adam, these are leftovers from last night."

Oops. I made up for it by giving him TJ's Shiitake Sushi in his lunch for work today.

 So here are my top Trader Joe's picks!!

1. The ready-made Super Spinach Salad

It's the perfect size and everything is there carrot miso dressing included. And under 400 calories (but who's counting, really?)

                            2. Chocolate Covered Cherry Soy Ice Cream.



I can honestly say if I gave this to a blind man he would never know this was vegan. Tasty as hell. Poor blind man. P.s. Thanks Annie Kreutinger for making me the really cute cookie oven mitts. I actually put this ice cream in-between two of my famous vegan chocolate chip cookies and scarfed it down before bed.

                                                     3. 100% Cherry Juice

Now y'all know how I love Wegmans. But there cherry juice is $9.

This was 3.99.

    4. Macadamias Gingerly mix with Cranberries and Almonds


This almost didn't make it home. Perfect crunch and sweet and ginger.                                       

                         5.Harvest Blend Herbal Tea

An extremely flavorful tea packed with cold fighting spices too. And you feel better drinking it in a Grinch mug.

And along with the Tofu, the fake chicken, crackers, bagels, breads, juices, soups, my stomach was just dancing with all the many other vegan options.
 
NOW ARE YOU EXCITED FOR TRADER JOES TO OPEN OCTOBER 11?



Not as excited as me.


1 comment:

  1. TJs is so fun!!! Definitely great for pantry items... I look forward to shopping there once a month once they are here! Anytime I am in Rochester I head there. I can't wait to see what you do with your blog and you have inspired me to start blogging again! Next post- my fun weekend at FarmAid this upcoming weekend! xo Ashley

    ReplyDelete