Wednesday, June 27, 2012

the wizardry of droz


When I was in 4th grade I had an Art teacher named Mr. Asklar. He was awe- inspiring. To me he was an 8- foot- tall, handsome, celebrity, who had a way of engaging his students like no other teacher. Little did I know 10 years later he would become Adam's mentor and he would become Mr. Asklar's student teacher. The reason I am bringing this up is because Mr. Asklar always had nicknames for his students to make them feel special . I was The Wizardrey of Droz  (later to become, "the angel of country parkway" because of the dramatic and exquisite lunches I would pack Adam during his student teaching). I never forgot that nickname and somehow it continued to stick with me. The title of my nickname made me feel empowered and I felt as large as my 8-foot-tall teacher. It made me feel like possibilities in my life were endless , and I still feel that way today.


That my good folks is why I'm beginning this blog, because even though my brain is filled to the brim with line memorization, puppets, bills and 3 very rewarding jobs, I need this outlet to present the multitude of information that I am learning. Whether it is through my newly vegan lifestyle, or in the depths of my theatrical life and style I would like you the viewer to take on this journey me. And I hope you'll chuckle along the yellow brick road. which is why my first recipe I'm showing you is for a delicious fun and fruity-fruit-tart! COMPLETELY VEGAN!
                               with "carl" ,one of the munchkins in the wizard of oz summer 2007
- droz xoxo

spotlight on vegan fruit tart:
Ingredients:

For the Crust:
2 Cups of vegan Graham Cookies ( I used Arrowroot Alphabet Cookies)
1/4 Cup of Walnuts
2 Tablespoons of Lemon juice
1/4 cup of Earth Balance (melted)

For the Filling: 
2 Containers of SO Delicious Plain "Yogurt"
Juice and Peel of 1 Lemon
1 Cup of Confectioners Sugar
1 tsp of Vanilla
1/4 Cup of Canned Coconut milk ( Do not shake!! Use the thickest part on the top)

For the Topping: Assorted Fruit sliced and cut ( I used Strawberries, Cherries, Peaches and Mixed Berries)

Assemblage: 
1) With Food Processor or Blender blend cookies, walnuts and lemon juice, slowly add Earth Balence. 
2) With a spatula scoop cookie mix into a pie plate and press down evenly to mold down crust
3) In a medium bowl whisk together yogurt, lemon juice and peel, sugar, vanilla and coconut milk. Chill in fridge until thicker consistency ( about an hour) feel free to add more sugar to taste.
4) Pour filling into cookie crust and top with cut up fruit. I made an cute design with the fruit but here is where you can get creative!
5) Chill for at least 30 minutes and enjoy! Can be made up to two days in advance, although I would not put the fruit on until last minute.

No comments:

Post a Comment